Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Another school year snuck up and bit me on the ass!

Tomorrow is do-over day. We switched to A track and back to Timberline, our home school and today was the first day of 4th grade for Caitlin and 2nd grade for Abigail. As we walked to school this morning I realized I had not gotten them new outfits, or even bothered to snap a picture in front of the house. Now , I realize I've let alot of that stuff slide for the sake of going back to school but COME ON! That's reason number 1.



Reason number 2 for Do-Over day, is that my eldest decided that since I wasn't at the designated meeting spot at the exact second she hit it, that she and her sister should just walk home. (I had walked around the back to meet them at the door, and missed them by a few seconds.) So instead of a happy - cheerleading "how was your first day back girls" - I had to chew them out about listening and patients and give them a 20 minute WHAT IF lecture.



So - Do Over day. I have cute outfits, camera, bikes and bike locks and their solemn promise to wait for me at the bike racks so that I may give them my blessing to forever after walk themselves home. Please don't screw it up ladies!

And just because it still makes me giggle: a picture of the 4th of July. About when the dog caught fire. No, no, nothing happened, just a quite large ember fell on her long furry underside, and I was able to easily brush it away, with only that icky burnt hair smell left to let me know it had happened. I just want to remember the comedy of the situation. Kevin in the fire safety position, guarding the flame and pyrotechnics, the girls up front completely oblivious - and 10 things at once me has to have the dog on a leash as I take pictures and maneuver around the playing field. . . and Kevin, in a very bored monotone, "the dog's on fire".


Suburban family life just doesn't get any better than that.

2 comments:

Martha said...

What no photo of the burning pup? Bummer man!

Just tell yourself and the girlies that you plan to honor/recognize "the second day of Second Grade" and then again, the "fourth day of fourth grade"....way cooler and trendier than your standard run of the mill "first day of school stuff!"

It'll keep you in the running for Mother of the Year.

As for Pet Owner of the year, well...all bets are off, because really? You stood there and watched the dawg burn? Your inner "cat persona" was coming out for sure!

Dodi said...

No new outfits for the first day of school??? Slacker!

Slacker Moms Unite!!