Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Olypmics 2012

Having kids who are 10 and 12 to watch the summer Olympics with certainly brings back memories.  Specifically, the 1972 and 1976 Olympics.  I was 7, and then 11 - and I remember Olga Corbet and Nadia Comanici.  I was too young to register anything about the scariness of the Munich games.

We spent both summers back in Washington Iowa at the United Presbyterian Home visiting my Grandparents.  Reverend W Bruce Gillis and Kathryn McCrery Gillis.  They lived in a cottage on the grounds, we would pull the trailer up to the side of the house, Grandpa had a zip line, a hammock, you could ride your bikes all over - even to go see the billy goats. . . It was great.  I remember complaining alot.  (Hot, humid, bugs) And looking at photo albums and visiting all day long. 

I think more usually it was Lawrence Welk, but it was very memorable to have the Olympics to experience together as a family.  that's why it's so annoying when the girls don't really want to watch, or are texting during the opening ceremony!!!! 

Of course I do have a bonus in that the girls dig swimming, so we get to pay attention to that too. 

   When was Marc Spitz?  That was later, I was older - but that's another memory.  And I was very happy to see that Rowan Atkins was still funny.  He hasn't got the way of Chevy Chase and Tim Conway.  The Black Adder still has it!

2 comments:

Martha said...

You've got a better memory than me. I don't recall the '72 Olympics (although I do have a scarf from the Games: family stories are that my aunt and uncle traveled to Germany around that time and my parents watched the cousins. As a thank you, Mom got the scarf, which I now have). During the '76 Olympics, my parents were moving and so I got sent to another relative: another bad memory of being stuck at the table until I drank all my milk (cows milk) and cleaned my plate (meatloaf: ick!). No air conditioning was the cherry on top. Yep, Olympic memories for me are about as happy as a root canal?

tz said...

what a great post...I remember nadia, vaguely...