Tuesday, May 12, 2009

There ought to be a law

There ought to be a law! Say you are Dairy Queen, and you sell ice cream. You only have 2 flavors. Chocolate and vanilla. If the chocolate machine is down, there should be some kind of customer alert system that would prevent moms who have promised their child with her brand new mouth full of metal fresh from the orthodontists office, an ice cream cone. Because that mom has probably 3 or 4 appointments to keep on any given Tuesday afternoon, and only has the one shot at getting the ice cream cone without making someone late to something. It's not like you can get dutch chocolate, or rocky road, or chocolate chocolate chip instead at dairy queen. Oh no. So I'd missed my chance to get home for the usual semi-nutritious snack, and we were stuck with syrupy coke, still owing them an ice cream cone. Thanks alot Dairy Queen.


A little while later, as we're off to Piano, Abi tells me - I think I'll stay here, I have alot of stuff to get done. (She's 7.) Before you slap me with the permanent bad mom sticker, let me just say that they both take there personal responsibility very seriously, and they have both proven themselves to be very trustworthy and conscientious - and I'm 3 minutes away, gone for 6 total. Still later, Abi has done her homework and is busily in the kitchen cleaning the kitchen and putting the dishes away. I comment, boy you must really want that ice cream cone for desert (same ice cream cone as promised earlier by the way) . Nope, I'm doing it for the money! (A new allowance scheme I'm trying.)

Oh - and thank you Dodi for the count down widget - I stole it. In Colleen time, that clock would read - 25. (That's the number of actual school days, weekends and holidays don't count, PLUS, it makes for a much smaller number.)

2 comments:

Martha said...

That widget? Isn't very inspiring right now as I'm done supervising homework, and facilitating early bed time.

Yep: if they can send us an alert saying "no swine flu yet" through the annoying school system alert program, I don't think it is too much to ask that we get told when the DQ chocolate machine is down, ya know?

Dodi said...

OMG - I discovered a few years ago on a visit there that DQ's in Waco TX don't have chocolate ice cream. (Perhaps they just hadn't upgraded from the original 1942 custard freezer yet?) They seriously looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a chocolate cone and then complained when it was vanilla dipped in chocolate.

I'm a peanut buster parfait fan!

And I love to share my widgets!!