Sunday, March 30, 2008

Giggles from the Back Pew

Martha, I like your idea for "Off Track Track Off", but I'll let you use it!


I went to Our Lady of Loretto this morning with my Mother. I haven't been in eons, and I didn't realize how completely I'd forgotten the whole drill! This was the first time to OLOL for both of us. Mom has been going to our old old Catholic church "All Souls" in Littleton, and I've been to St. Michaels, SHUM, Eastern Hills, and (mostly) not gone at all. So, I got a bug - and we met at the 7 am mass.
Mom:
"Ut-oh" . . . "oh dear" . . . "look out" . . . "here we go" . . . and more. I think Mom, who still likes it better in Latin, was not convinced by their attempt at being traditional. They broke out the incense, and the holy water spritzer, out with the mumbling chants and in with the singing, a Solid Gold Bible, Christ on the cross with spurting blood in glittery Austrian style -they had it all covered - EVERTHING! I don't know if they do this every time, or if, as mom said, "they haven't gotten over the fact Easters over yet."

So I blame my mother. I was quickly trasported back to going to St. Thomas Moore (the way I remember it, it was the 5.am. mass) with the Lindners, and Chelsea and I GIGGLING. And if my parents were strict and old school, hers were spartan stoics. Which made the giggling much, much worse. Then I heard the speaker say something about "Captain Heaven". I could actually see my daughter, standing next to me about to burst from trying not to twitch too loudy, unable to resist asking "who's Captain Heaven mom?" I think it might have been "kept it heaven", who knows, because my point is, I am a church giggler. And this doesn't even start to cover the times I went with the Goodwins.

Maybe I'll try SHUM again next week. They have sunday school.

OK, I'll be back tomorrow with my official
"ON TRACK ON TRACK OFF LIST"
inspired by Ms. Matha

1. set coffee talk time

1 comment:

tz said...

cute picture of abi!

i always laugh inappropriately at church!

the pastor will say something i think is hysterical...and when i look around i'm the only one laughing...