Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Ben and Me - week 1 - TEMPERANCE

I've been mulling this over for awhile now and have found a place to start. As a way of honoring and remembering my dad, I decided to occasionally try to be a better person. At the funeral and after, several people made comments that I've summed up as "he made me want to be a better person". And it's true. Dad didn't have a lofty, self important style and yet, he always strove to be do the best he could. In generational comparison, I think that's something I (and my peers) forget to do. Anyway, it's something I've been thinking about alot lately - and as I was looking up Ben Franklin to see what he considered virtues - I stumbled upon this book, "Ben and Me" where the author is doing exactly what I want to do. As Ben said about his self help course - I certainly haven't reached moral perfection, but I am definately a better person for having tried. (Something like that.)Anyhow, I'm loving this book and having company as I take them one at a time.

WEEK 1 - Temperance.
"Don't eat so much you can't move, and if you drink, don't throw up on yourself." - that's not Ben's version that's Cameron Gunn's verson. I'm thinking I've got this one. I love the low bar start. I can eat, I can drink - just try not to go nuts.

1 comment:

tz said...

oooh, I think I can do that too! Maybe not on Christmas...but still most other days.