Thursday, November 16, 2006

Rites of Passage

This is where in City Slickers, the tall goofy guy- no, wait, the short mustachio-ed guy says to Billy Crystal, "and you can't do your kids, too easy!"

OK - blog challenge of the week - (I'm summarizing as usual) tell about one of your rite's of passage, and have fun remembering it - (NOW I'm summarizing AND paraphrasing, but it's my blog, so I can do whatever I want...)
There was a self defense class in college, called "Model Mugging" and it was, I believe, my first real Oprah "Aha!" moment in life. (I'm a late bloomer.) I was emersed in Women Studies, and it was very emotional, and there were several "survivors" in the class working through their horrific issues. It was a life changing, empowering, never want to do it again event.
Then there was flying. I think the first lesson, and then my first solos, rate right up there with the most fun, proudest moments of my life.
But hands down, the split my life in two rite of passage, would be motherhood. I've made the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" analogies before, but few people new me well both before and after. . . It's like I'm a completely different person now. It caught me completely off guard. Marriage wasn't that different, so next stop having kids, big deal. . . I never knew you could be this happy!

1 comment:

tz said...

absolutely too true! nothing like being a mother to rock your world. so wish my mother understood that...
haha, whole other oprah