Sunday, March 18, 2007

New Pet Peeve

It's not really new, it's just made it to my public enemy #1 this weekend;

Interrupting!

Stop interrupting. Everyone! Stop it now!

I had babysitting co-op duty this Saturday. (This was after I met the worst interrupter I've encoutered in a long time at a party the same day.) So, I was trying to rid the dinner table of this annoying habit among the young'uns. Who ever talks the loudest, longest wins. Everybody else is frustrated and mad, and cries that no-one is listening to them. I was fighting an important, and obviously losing battle. (I didn't cry in the afternoon, but I did abruptly leave as I decided I didn't want to waste my time any more.)

I realize that it's because adults are as guilty or more of talking over each other constantly. It was called "stepping on" someone on the radio. (Pilot license, using the radio was as involved as flying the plane.) You only did it once or twice when you where very new and EVERYBODY would tell you - "let go of the mic honey, you Keep stepping on people." "You'll have to repeat that, 499 stepped all over you again." 1 or 2 of these publicly broad casted comments was usually enough to cure you of the habit but quick. (You see, it's very important that everyone is able to say their piece, and be heard. You have to take turns, or someone won't get the message to change altitudes before it's too late, or you passed your turning point because some jackass butt in again.) I need to find a way to carry this over into the mom pack.

Adults are always harping on their kids to take turns, share. Well, they don't get it unless you do it yourself. I need to come up with a program were we can rid the world of this rude behaviour.

Now I know we all do it sometimes, and that's OK. I enjoy a lively conversation as much as the next person. I'm even occasionally a "blurter". Sometimes I interrupt, but I've usually done it very intentionally. But, if you do it all the time, and it's just the way you talk, I need to Help you see the light! Right now I'm thinking a nice firm slap in the face, followed by a pointy fingered "don't interrupt!" Alittle more drastic than what I do with the kids, but if you haven't figured it out by the time your 30-something, it's just a bad habit that's not going away. . . If my 5 year old can get it, so can you!!! - Now if your wondering if I'm infering that it's you, DR (dear reader), I'm not. But, if sociopaths are 1 in 20, I think chronic interupters must be. . . well, must be STOPPED!

OK, #2. . .

(just kidding - I'm done.)

3 comments:

Martha said...

Well, I knew you weren't talking about me because 1. I'm not a 30 somethinger and 2. I wasn't at any social function with you recently to have gotten under your skin. but I hear you loud and clear and at least will keep my interupting under control when in your presence.

Anything else you want to rant on? You be a good ranter... :)

tz said...

hahahahaha, i DO know to whom you were referring and I've been known to interrupt and point to another person in the pack and say...'you were saying' not as effective as a slap in the face. it's the mediator in me...
and yes, you have a fantastic ability to rant

tz said...

oh and i'm sorry if my kiddos contributed to the crying, whining, and talking over on your anti-date night...and i say 'if' with hope because i'm pretty sure they most definetly where part of the problem... ;-)