Saturday, September 01, 2007

I Have a Dream

Lately, I've been obsessing about moving to the mountains when we retire. Probably because it's not very financially possible. Anyhow, I've decided that it is something worth working toward either way. I love the mountains. I even love the s word. Anyhow, part of my mental making it a do-able scheme is that we could build something ourselves.

Enter the Yurt.

They're actually a trendy new cabin
and are considered portable. Nomads invented them, wealthy Americans perfected them to be "earth homes". Gather your own water in a cistern, use a little stove and lots of insulation. . . I bet it would be a comfy little cabin in the mountains, but I'd probably grow weary of even the largest of yurts were I to actually permanently live in one. Probably more something you'd stay in while you built a real home.

However, in my mind, I picture living in the yurt. Sort of like the tents in the Harry Potter books. I walk inside to find my dream home; spacious and non-yurty. One of the other draw backs to the reality part of the plan is that I'm probably better suited for the city or at least the suburbs. Where would all the sister wives and their families stay when they came to visit me when I realize I'm lonely and bored out of my mind up in the mountains!?!

We are cleaning. Date night tonight. My sock draw is organized, so I'm ready to rock and roll. Oh, and my lie was that I've been sky diving. I'd go in a second, but it's too pricey if I want to get the magical Yurt!

Happy Labor Day Weekend yall!

7 comments:

tz said...

oooh i should have read this one first before commenting on what i thought your lie was....i sooo would have assumed you had been skydiving....and yet another reason why you and my husband should be married...you guys can go together next time around...i got up there, looked out the plane and refused to JUMP....because well, i'm SANE.

tz said...

oh and you won't be bored...because we'll have our peach orchard/bed and breakfast next to your property, you can come over for some peach brandy in the evening...

a girl can dream

Sitting In Silence said...

Oh I so want a yurt now as well.

That is the most beautiful picture, a yurt in the snow....

D x

Dodi said...

I? Still think it looks like a tent - and I still hate tents! Where would I put my stuff? My hair products alone would fill a yurt.

That said, I admire that you yearn to live more simplistically. If invited, I would visit you in your yurt, and I would probably bring you a huge bottle of wine. But I would most likely bunk at Tracey's B&B. Something about straight walls and insulation that I find cozy!

Martha said...

Dodi and I will camp at the Hilton down the hill from your yurt...if that's ok. Unless of course, your yurt comes with high speed internet, TiVo and room service?

Aimee said...

I will have to join Martha and Dodi, becasue one bathroom for three people is roughing it. Although it looks beautiful, do we all remember last, what, March, how beautiful the snow was, until we had to dig ourselves out and then drive on the crap for 3 weeks? I think I'll stick with the comforts of home, thanks. Good thing I'm going to be a Daisy leader, huh?

Dodi said...

Do Yurts have bathrooms? Where do they put them? Is there some sort of Yurt Floorplan I can see before deciding that it might indeed be better than tent camping?

Not to knock the Hilton, Martha. I'm always up for the great pillows and comfy beds that the Hilton has!