Saturday, January 26, 2008

All I need to know about life I learned in . . . Middleschool?

I was logging some observation hours yesterday, and I was amazed. I haven't set foot in a middle school since, well, decades ago. And, in one afternoon, I hear these 3 things middle schoolers say;

  • "Wow, this is so easy and fun" - how do you convey the dripping of sarcasm?
  • "Yeah, I know what bulimia is. It's like anorexia, but you get to eat." -

and
  • "I don't really, like, you know, associate with her, so I wouldn't know." - In response to what does your mom do for a living.
yikes! I'm kinda hooked though, WAY more interesting than elementary life.

4 comments:

Sitting In Silence said...

The last comment is a classic....I am so dreading the next few years !!

Dodi said...

I had a similar observation recently at DD1's birthday party. I asked one of the girls a question, and got a very vague answer. I said to myself, "You know, I miss them being 5 years old. At 5 the whole story would have come spilling out."

Funny how a few years changes their responses and filters.

Martha said...

Another blessing to having a quirky kid. Filtering is often not engaged. :)

Too funny...still thinking that sending my Things to boarding school during the tumultous teen years is the way to go...either that or buying my gin in bulk!

tz said...

boarding school may be the solution martha...

oh you do need to work at a middle school, can you imagine the blog material you'd get

and yes, i think it's a perfect criteria to select a career...blog worthiness