Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Full Day

I've had this sad little plant since. . . 1991. It's a Plumeria; as in the beautiful and fragrant flower most frequently used by Hawaiians to make leis. (5 very symmetrical white petals, bright yellow centers)I bought it at the stock show here in Colorado right after I moved here from Maui. It was a stick in a baggy, with some volcanic rock/dirt thrown in. The first decade, it never had more than 2 leaves. More recently (this last decade) it was thriving. After a few years in the bathroom where we shower every day, and there is a sky light, it usually had 4 leaves. Thrilling as it was, I guess I've started to take it for granted. Maybe I was subconsciously wishing it ill since it never lived up to it's potential. At it's best, it was still a silly little stick, barely alive, with a few scrawny leaves.
 
Posted by Picasa


Is it odd that I want to replant the now malformed stick in new soil, put it back in the bathroom/greenhouse for another decade, and see if it might just recover enough to have a couple of leaves again? I think I may have a "letting go" issue, how about you?

We also had a little Gillis Clan get together, and Caitlin has already sold many many boxes of girl scout cookies.
(We started Friday.) Now I'm trying to catch up on my studying, this class is gonna be HARD! No papers, no presentations, no b.s. - just a TON of reading.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Cookies? Did someone say it is GS Cookie time. Yum Yum...be sure to find me as I love me some cookies!

And the plant...well, I'm no Martha when it comes to green stuff, but if it were my house and my stick, it would find its way to the curb come Wednesday. And what timing: it is Stock Show time...go buy yourself a new one! :)

tz said...

the poor little guy! I have a plant that was at the base of the trellis from my wedding...it used to be two but one died...i get really supersticious about this one...like if it dies our marriage will fail...how about that for 'letting go' when we moved it to kck it lost so many leaves...i was scared...but i cut it back, it grew and survived...yay

Sitting In Silence said...

Hey this looks what I have in my garden.

Over here we call them frangipani.

I wonder if it's the same plant.

I have some in white and yellow and some in a beautiful pink.

Aimee said...

My mother has (had) one of those and it blooms all the time. She can stick a half dead leaf in soil and a short time later, it becomes a beautiful plant. I've actually seen this happen with a violet leaf. Kid you not, it sat in a drawer at work for over a week and was very sickly, then I give it to my mom and 20+ years later it is still absoutly georgeous.